The best thing about HVAC systems is that they can be programmed to work according to the timer. However, in order to control the time of operation, it needs a 24V timer relay. This spare part can either be included in the construction, or installed afterward. PartzStop offers the most reliable and efficient relays from the leading manufacturers.
What is a 24 volt timer relay?
This is a device that allows setting schedule and time for HVAC components: to be more precise, a user can set a delay before ON or before OFF. It functions with a +24v input signal – that’s where the name derived from. A 24v timer relay switch works by receiving a momentary or a continuous input – this is what defines the action triggered.
In both cases, a relay can be adjusted to work in the range from 0.5 seconds to 6 hours, that’s why it’s a versatile solution. Timing setting is made by removal of plugs on the construction to get access to the dials within.
Features and Benefits
Each 24 volt dc timer relay has its own constructional peculiarities. An average model has the following characteristics:
- Changeover with customized delay;
- 24 V voltage;
- Current is usually 10 A max (less than 1 mA when inactive);
- Several terminals are included with ~6 mm blades;
- Power supply backstop allows preventing the damage of the unit.
Other characteristics depend on the model only.
The main benefit of time delay relay 24v devices is that they don’t require much electricity to function. At the same time, they are versatile and can be used to control heaters, lights, and various AC circuits that require a lot of electricity.
How to test?
That can be easily done in three simple steps:
- Find terminals in the unit (usually, there are five of them though this number differs). They will be signified by symbols, for example COM, NC, NO denote common, normally closed, and normally open correspondingly. Besides, electromagnetic terminals (there are two of them) might be denoted by a color or a symbol.
- Apply voltage from a 24-volt battery to terminals with the help of clips. Since relay coils do not depend on polarity, you can simply connect negative and positive sides of battery to the corresponding ends of the coil. If you hear a clicking sound, it’s good but not enough to ensure the functionality.
- Use the ohmmeter in the test mode. Continuity should be sustained in CO and NC terminals. If there are no readings or they are different, the relay should be replaced.
PartzStop offers reliable and efficient relays from the leading manufactures. Contact us if you need help with selection and professional guidelines.