Widely used in cars and heating systems, igniters are an essential of mechanical systems. They play the role of actuator and start a device, that’s why you need a truly reliable item. PartzStop features a large catalog of models from the world’s leading manufacturers – you can easily find a suitable electronic igniter.
How Hot Surface Ignition Works?
This is the most widespread ignition system that’s used in the majority of cases. It is identical to light bulb filler: when the electric impulse passes through, it ignites. As a rule, there are two types of media: silicon nitride or carbide. Such form of igniters is located at the point where a flow of gas goes into the burning unit. The system with such igniter includes a valve and a controller.
How to Check if Furnace Ignitor is Faulty?
How to find out whether there’s anything wrong? There are several signs of faulty digital igniters:
- Limited heat production on a regular basis;
- Overactive blower is operated by a malfunctioning limited switch;
- Frequent cycling of unsteadily working burner makes the device stop and run constantly;
- It blows chilly air even in the HEAT mode.
Thus, if you notice any signs of malfunctioning, it’s time to check the device. Follow a few simple steps:
- Make sure that the furnace is not overheated. Optimally, it should be set at room temperature.
- Switch off the furnace with the help of a thermostat. Circuit breaker goes next.
- Remove the service cover by unscrewing it. You will find the ignitor (electrical or mechanical – they are located in one place, usually, near the gas entrance) and wires connected to it.
- Check out whether there’s any visible decay or some damage.
- Remove wires from the socket – the problem might be in leads.
- Run a test with a multimeter by setting the lowest resistance mode. If some ~120 volts are displayed, the device used to get power but now it’s bad.
- Check the ignitor plugs. The meter should show 40-200 ohms. Higher readings show that the model could be worn out and should be replaced soon.
If you find any cracks or damages, replace the components or the entire ignitor when necessary.
PartzStop provides the full array of igniters from the leading global manufacturers, such as Carrier, Honeywell, Smith, Robertshaw, and others. Whenever in doubt or in need of professional advice, contact our customer support. We will help you select a suitable model that fits both your budget and your HVAC system.