A cable tester (a locator) is a device designed to test the integrity and operability of various data communications. It is used during the installation and maintenance of local computer and telephone networks, as well as other communication channels.
The simplest device for testing telephone or computer communications made of twisted pair consists of the following parts:
- A transmitter – an electronic unit with a 3-position mode switch (“Scan”, “Off”, “Test”), 8 LED indicators, connectors for connecting RJ connectors 11, RJ 12, RJ 45;
- A receiver (a probe) – just like a generator, it contains 8 LED indicators, connectors for connecting cables with various connectors.
Types of the product
Depending on what physical communication channels locators can work with, they are divided into 2 main types:
- Working with fiber-optic communication channels and local networks;
- Designed for testing copper lines as a twisted pair, coaxial, or telephone wire. This type of device is currently the most widespread and demanded due to the high use of a twisted pair in modern computer networks and telephone lines.
For what purpose to use?
With the help of such a device, you can check such characteristics of the communication line as:
- Correct connection of small conductors in multicore cables;
- The length of each core;
- Signal attenuation;
- Communication channel resistance;
- Core breaks and their location;
- A meek circuit.
The range of possible operations is enough to cope with all problems related to cables.
How to choose the device?
When choosing the most suitable product, pay attention to its specs. It is important to check battery life, functions. Equipment manufacturer plays an important factor. Well-known world producers pay particular attention to their reputation. So, customers are sure that their products are of high quality.
Klein Tools VDV products meet all the requirements. Their cost justifies the quality of devices. You can buy these products in Partzstop online shop. The site offers delivery all over the world. If you want, they deliver your purchase just to your flat. This service is called “near me” delivery.