Being an integral part of the HVAC system, a MERV 8 filter is optimal for blocking and capturing dust, dirt, pollen, pet dander, and microbes. With an excellent efficiency to price ratio, a MERV 8 filter is highly recommended for all general residential and commercial applications.
Why use MERV 8 furnace filters?
MERV 8 models have distinct advantages over filters with other MERV ratings. Some of these advantages are:
- The filter media within the model does not collect moisture, which prevents the growth of mold, mildew, and fungi. Additionally, it also eliminates bacteria in the average environment without being chemically treated. This filter will capture and remove particles from 3 to 10 microns.
- Depending on air quality and conditions, you can expect a MERV 8 air filter to last 2-3 months before it needs to be changed, this is far more sustainable than the cheaper options.
- Since MERV 8 filters are generally not washable, installation is easy and straightforward. When the filters need to be changed, simply discard the used filter, and replace it with a new one.
- With a large selection of sizes available, you will be able to find the right MERV 8 filter for your application
- Being made of 100% synthetic media, the MERV 8 model has higher particulate efficiency than regular cotton pleated analogs and is 30x more efficient than fiberglass variations.
This filter model is a standard choice for homes where no smokers and no small children live.
Specifications of MERV 8 filter
MERV 8 panels include 100% synthetic media and a plastic frame for installation in furnace. Its material can capture small particles from airflow (3-10 microns): dust, mites, pollen, pet dander, mold. This is a clear-cut better option than cotton pleat or fiberglass models: it provides optimal price/quality ratio for use in household appliances. The thickness of panels varies from 1” to 6”, dimensions – from 5” to 25”, so it’s simple to figure out an optimal size.
Despite decent filtering quality, MERV 8 material is not able to capture smoke, car fumes, smog, microscopic allergens, and bacteria – the range of application is limited since it cannot correctly eliminate outdoor pollutants.
About MERV rating
When it comes to the MERV rating of filters, it varies from 8 to 13. As we have mentioned above, the 8 grade is suitable for household use (better in houses without smokers and children). The MERV 8 option is excellent for eliminating dust, pollen, lint, debris, pet dander, and dirt from the air. However, it does not block certain fumes and smoke or mold spores and bacteria. People with allergies/respiratory issues need a more enhanced filter to comfort their breathing needs.
MERV 11 filters are installed in homes that are exposed to regular outdoor pollution (car fumes, smog, fire smoke, industrial fumes). This filter may be a stronger solution; however, viruses and tobacco smoke are not eliminated entirely and can still be found in the air.
MERV 13 is the most advanced option: such pleated constructions capture the smallest microscopic particles, including virus carriers, tobacco smoke, allergens, mold spores, and bacteria. The MERV 13 solution is suitable for people with small children and allergies or other respiratory issues.
You can go to your local hardware store to make your filter purchase and attempt to find the right one, but why waste your time searching? Through our website, you don’t even have to go through the longevity of searching. Our website is precise with finding the correct filter for you: we provide a wide selection of filters. Need help with selecting the right filter? Please do not hesitate to contact us, and we will walk you through in making the right choice for your application.