Being a common part of HVAC systems, pleated AC filters are made of such materials as cotton, polyester, or paper. They are creased to form pleats and increase the surface. Due to pleated structure, such construction traps more tiny particles.
Why pleated air conditioner filters are widespread? Their design allows blocking dust, dirt, pollen, hair, pet dander, and even bacteria – all that would clog the conditioner otherwise causing allergy. There are at least three reasons to use such model:
- They maintain optimal heat transfer which reduces electricity & heating bills;
- When comparing pleated media air vs fiberglass filter, the first is more efficient and long-lasting;
- They improve the quality of air in user’s home and reduce the amount of dust, which saves time and money on cleaning;
- Such option costs way less than electrostatic counterparts while ensuring same level of filtration.
How often pleated filters should be replaced?
Typically, replacement should be performed once in 3 months. In case of heavy-duty use, this can be done more often. Compared to fiberglass models replaced every 30 days, this variant is more cost-efficient.
When changing pleated air filters in your HVAC system, mind four things:
- Don’t forget to switch furnace off before replacement.
- Prepare a bag to place old filter in (it will be covered in dust heavily).
- It should better be done by a person without allergy.
- Follow official manufacturer’s guide replacement directions.
If you don’t want to miss the next replacement, make maintenance schedule.
How to choose a pleated panel filter?
The major aspect to consider is MERV rating and depth size. For home conditioners, use models with MERV between 5 and 13. Higher rated models are usually installed on production facilities, hospitals, surgery rooms, etc. If you run a conditioner in apartments/standard house, select common models of 1-2 inch depth: they deal with air cleaning successfully removing whole gamut of pollutants. For heavy-duty use (for example, on industrial sites), install thicker filters.
If you want to order pleated furnace system air filters, purchase it online on our website. We offer options of different size, depth, and MERV rating while maintaining competitive prices. Select high-quality options of different brands or contact us – our assistants will help you make an informed decision.